Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Yoga for Folks with Desk Jobs

This week the Huffington Post featured an article showcasing basic yoga postures that help reverse harm done by sitting at a desk for hours on end. Check out the yoga moves in the article here to see how you can alleviate the sore shoulders, hip, back and neck that comes from countless hours at the desk.

What the article didn't go into is stretches to avoid carpal tunnel. While an ergonomically sound desk set up does help alleviate the risk, this still is a common injury among office workers. As a freelance writer I spend many hours a day just typing away on the keyboard, so I try to always be mindful of any pain, tightness or discomfort that comes up. One way I deal with this is taking frequent breaks, but I also make sure to frequently stretch out my wrists.


Here is a video courtesy ehow.com showing one of my favorite stretches for the wrists. To get a deeper stretch point the fingertips down towards the ground instead of up towards the ceiling. There are also many other free videos available in this section of the website that show basic yoga moves to help ensure the health of your wrists.


I usually combine some of these moves into my daily home yoga practice. It really feels great after a long day of work to stretch everything out. I also randomly take breaks during the day to do some of these stretches which mixes up the monotony of work, chores and play. 



No comments:

Post a Comment