Thursday, December 26, 2013

Monthly Yoga Sanskrit: Avidyā

The word Avidyā mean "ignorance" or "delusion" in Sanskrit. In terms of Buddhism it means you either do not understand the four noble truth, or like me, you just misunderstand reality in itself. As soon as I saw this word it attracted me, because I just feel connected with it when it comes to the "spiritual" elements of yoga. 

For example, in a yoga class the other day our teacher had us waving our hands and chanting as we lunged, and it really took every element of self-control not to burst out laughing. What is wrong with me? Why can't I take these types of things seriously? 

For the past, well forever, I've denied myself the exploration of the spiritual world (whatever that means). I'm about to commence into Yoga Teacher Training in January, so I think my lack of exploration into the spiritual realm is going to work against me. The cynic in me doubts my capacity to take in these lessons at all without scoffing at the false comfort that religion provides.  

I'm curious though. I think the Dalai Lama is generally a cool guy.  Buddhism even sounds pretty rad. Hopefully an open mind will help me to stray further away from Avidyā- if that is the appropriate path. I can't help but question if there is a secular way to approach yoga, and if you skip over the spirituality do you miss the point? 

Do we go into yoga to stretch or do we go into yoga for something more than that? I'm sure it varies from person to person. Even as the most cynical of participants I have to say that I've taken away more than just more open hips and shoulders. Generally I feel more at ease in the world and myself... well , at least some of the time.  


Anyways, it will be fun to become familiar with a non-Western religion, and I look forward to learning about some Buddhism and other tidbits in Yoga Teacher Training. Hopefully it will at least make me more capable in writing about Sanskrit words for y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment