Thursday, March 27, 2014

Monthly Yoga Sanskrit: Satya

In a past blog post I discussed the meaning of 'Satya' within the context of the 8 branches of yoga, so I figured I do an official blog for the word. 

Satya means commitment to the truth. It is key step to living an ethical yogic lifestyle. 

For teacher training over the past month we were supposed to practice Satya in our everyday lives. I have to be honest (satya after all!), it was a challenge at time to follow truthfulness all the time. 

A fellow student in the YTT program shared the acronym T.H.I.N.K. with us, and I found it to be a very helpful tool. Before you speak you are always supposed to consider the T.H.I.N.K acronym that you can see in the image below. Basically you want to consider if the communication is true, helpful, inspiring, necessary or kind. 




Satya seems like such a simple idea, but it can be difficult to follow. It takes discipline, control and mindfulness- all of things which I know personally I need to work on. This month I censored and reconsidered my words more than a couple of times thanks to satya and T.H.I.N.K., and I have no doubt this benefited my personal relationships. 

If anything the T.H.I.N.K acronym and satya made me stop for a second before delivering perhaps unnecessary criticisms and judgement. This tool of mindfulness is invaluable, and anyone could benefit from the practice of satya. 

-Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment